| Center for Naval Aviation Technical Training History
1961 - 1969
The Naval Air Mobile Training Group (NAMTG) was founded in Naval Air Station (NAS) at Memphis, TN. The training was conducted through Detachments called Naval Air Mobile Training Detachments (NAMTD) at Marine Corps Air Stations (MCAS) and Naval Air Stations (NAS). There were 72 training detachments established and their mission was to provide technical training for officers, enlisted, civilians, and foreign military in the operations, maintenance, repair of aircraft and associated equipment.
Naval Air Training Detachment (NAMTD) Cherry Point was established to provide training to Marines for Squadrons which serviced the Phantom R-4, Skyray F-4D, and the Skyhawk A4D-2 & A4D-2N. In 1962 the first female Marine students attended NAMTD courses. In 1965, NAMTG Cherry Point got its first building with classrooms and forecasted construction of additional new buildings to train Marines.
1970 - 1979
During this period there were three Naval Air Maintenance Training Group Detachments (NAMTRAGRUDET) established at MCAS Cherry Point. Their mission was "To Train the Fleet" by providing specialized technical training.
• NAMTRAGRUDET 1006 - This detachment trained pilots and technicians on all systems of the AV-8A aircraft and was the only AV-8A training facility in the world.
• NAMTRAGRUDET 1100 - This was the only Marine A-4 detachment of three A-4 detachments. It trained pilots and technicians to become familiar with all models of the A-4 aircraft using 33 different courses.
• NAMTRAGRUDET 3001 - Was commissioned in April 1971 and provided organizational and intermediate maintenance training on electronic countermeasure equipment.
1980 - 2001
In December 1983, the first AV-8B Harrier II was delivered to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point and in March 1985, VMAT-203 Fleet Readiness Aviation Maintenance Personnel (FRAMP) was assigned the missions of training exclusive AV-8B aircrews and maintenance personnel.
On October 1, 1986 the squadron known as Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Training Squadron 253 (VMGRT-253) was activated and received their first C-130 Hercules aircraft. VMGRT-253 was also known as the Fleet Replacement Enlisted Skills Training Center (FREST), tasked with training all the KC-130 maintenance crew Marines and Sailors. As the Model Manager for maintenance training, VMGRT-253 consolidated East and West Coast technical schools into a new 43,000-square-foot facility.
2001 - 2002
On September 12, 2001, the ground maintenance training courses from both marine Aerial Refueler Transport Training Squadron (VMGRT-253) and Marine Training Squadron (VMGRT-203) were merged to form Naval Air Maintenance Training (NAMTRA) Marine Unit Cherry Point.
• Courses taught were KC/KC-130F/R/T/J, AV-8B, Cryogenics, and Ordnance.
2003 - Present
January 8, 2003 NAMTRA Marine Unit Cherry Point was disestablished and reestablished on the same day as Center for Naval Aviation Technical Training (CNATT) Marine Unit Cherry Point.
• June 2009. 17 Marines reported to Little Rock Air Force Base, Jacksonville, Arkansas. Their purpose was to stand up the KC-130J Aviation Maintenance School aboard Little Rock Air Force Base as a detachment using Air Force Trainers.
Today, CNATT Marine Unit Cherry Point staff trains approximately 1400 Marine, Navy, Italian Foreign National, and civilian students per year in 76 courses of instruction supporting the AV-8B, KC-130J, FA-18E/F and maintenance specialties in I-level ordnance, avionics, and cryogenics communities.