- Walk-in hours of service (Room 114): Monday - Friday 0730-1100. Check-in no later than 1030.
- Will and Estate planning worksheets pickup (Room 114) and drop off (Room 106): Monday – Friday 0730-1200
- Will signings are by appointment only: Monday – Thursday 1315-1500
- Power of Attorney services (Room 114): Monday – Thursday 0800-1030 and 1200-1500; Friday 0730-1200; if these times do not work, please call (252-466-2311) to schedule an appointment.
- State Notary Services (Rooms 106 & 107): Monday -Thursday 0700-1030 and 1200-1500; Friday 0730-1200; if these times do not work, please call (252-466-2311) to schedule an appointment.
Appointments by request.
About Legal Assistance
Legal Assistance is staffed by licensed and fully-accredited attorneys who are Marine officers and are familiar with many of the problems military members and their families face. Additionally, we have two civilian paralegals who are fully certified Notaries Public in the State of North Carolina, and two enlisted clerks who assist with client intake and drafting your important legal documents.
Legal Assistance is a professional environment. Clients seeking assistance must dress in appropriate civilian attire in compliance with AirStaO 1020.3E. Clients are expected show the same professionalism, respect and courtesy to the staff of Legal Assistance that they would show to a paid attorney. This will allow Legal Assistance to focus on the legal problem at hand and efficiently analyze your options.
Legal Assistance can help with:
||• Estate planning: Wills, Powers of Attorney, and Advance Directives
• Family law: Separation, uncontested divorce, child support and child custody, step-parent adoptions, non-support
• Leasing disputes: Military termination, security deposits, preparing for small claims court
• Legal financial issues: Credit checks and corrections, negotiations with businesses out in town
Legal Assistance cannot:
||• Help with criminal matters (military or civilian)
• Assist regarding tickets on base
• Appear in court or any administrative board for you
• Help with claims against the government
• Act as a mediator or work with both sides
Our first priority is mission readiness for operational units, especially deploying units. Other services may be limited or suspended for deployment briefs. Predeployment services are also available for reservists in pre-mobilization status. Individualized legal assistance services are available on a limited basis according to the following priority:
||1. Legal Assistance is intended primarily for active duty personnel
2. Dependents of active duty personnel as resources permit
3. Reserve personnel on active duty for more than 30 days as resources permit
4. Dependents of activated reserve personnel as resources permit
5. Retired personnel and spouses as resources permit
Servicemembers Civil Relief Act:
• The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act is a federal law which allows servicemembers to:
• Lower pre-service interest to 6%
• Stay civil court proceedings 90 days
• Terminate leases early if PCS or deployment for 90 days or more
• Terminate cell phone contracts and retain phone number if deploying for 90 days or more
• If you have any questions regarding your rights under the SCRA, please come to
the Legal Assistance Office
• Generally, a will is not necessary if you:
• Don't want a will
• Are married with no children
• Are single and are giving everything to your parents
• Own no real property
• Do not intend to disinherit someone
• Have no special bequests
• Generally, a will is necessary if you:
• Are married with children
• Are unmarried with children
• Own real property
• Intend to disinherit someone
• Have special bequests
• If you want a will, please come by the Legal Assistance Office and retrieve a will worksheet.
• Advance Directives and Health Care Powers of Attorney allow you to state your wishes for medical treatment in the event that you are incapacitated, and authorize an agent to make those decisions for you. If you are interested in getting an Advance Directive and Health Care Power of Attorney, you can receive one from the Legal Assistance Office.
• For legal resources and preventative law information please see the excellent resources provided at Camp Lejeune's website